Saturday, March 15, 2014

Seed structure

As of right now my babies are just little seeds. I would like to provide you with some background information on what my babies are like as of today.

Corn seed ^
Carrot seed ^

Above are some photos of what my babies look like on the inside with a nice diagram pointing to the different structures within. First is the embryo. The embryo of the seed will emerge with germination (I will further discuss germination in another post!) in which the embryo will grow out of the seed and begin to sprout. Next is the cotyledon. The cotyledon is actually part of the embryo which becomes the leaves. The final major component of the seeds is the endosperm. The endosperm is a tissue which surrounds the embryo and comes into play in further development by storing nutrients.

No comments:

Post a Comment